Sunday, July 14, 2013

Classroom Organization Project One

During the school year, I never seem to have time to even start projects, so I spend my summer making my classroom a better, more organized place. Last year, I watched a video somewhere on the web of an ingenious young teacher who transformed a regular plastic dresser into a classroom tool. This summer, I decided to do my own modified version.

All it took was a clean plastic dresser (mine had been used before-plain and ugly), Mod Podge, a foam brush, pencil, scissors and scrap-booking paper. Here, step-by-step, is how I did it and how you can do it, too.

Step one: Pull out the drawer and set it on a flat surface with the front of the drawer down. slide the piece of scrap-booking paper into the front, inside section of the drawer. Use a pencil and make a pattern-much like you would do grave rubbings or tree rubbings.



Step two: Cut out the piece along the heaviest line-that is the shape you need.


Step three: Now you are ready to add the Mod Podge! Everything you need for step three is shown in the picture.  Gently fold the paper in half and mark the halfway point in pencil on the drawer. Use the foam brush to add a thin coat of Mod Podge to one half of the plastic. Carefully place the paper inside the drawer, lining up your fold with the mark. You do not have a lot of time to move it, so line it up before you press it down. Rub the paper, pressing out bubbles as it dries. Add glue to the second half and lower the paper, pressing it out again. Let it dry completely. 


Step four: Add layers of Mod Podge to the backside of the paper. Press to keep bubbles from forming. Poke tiny holes and press when bubbles won't press down and stay. Rub glue over the section. Be careful when you rub the paper. Press too hard and it will peel off. Let it dry completely between coats. 

Repeat each step for each drawer. I chose not to cover the top of the drawers. In the future, I may add something that identifies the contents once I decide on the use of the drawer set. I am thinking I may use it for art supplies; they are currently in another room.

This is my finished product:


About four or five years ago, I chose three colors for my classroom: Green, Pink and Purple. Each year, I add new elements with the same colors to keep the costs lower. Along with this plastic dresser, I also made a whimsical wooden dresser to store larger items in that also incorporates colors-all three of them. Soon, I will post the creation of my favorite piece of furniture so far!

If you want to check out my favorite piece, click here!