Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Book Report Fun

I remember having to write book reports. I hated it! Finding the right words-and enough of them to satisfy my teacher was all it amounted to...they were never seen by anyone else. I wanted my students to have a different experience...and so they did. They made mini-books (one page) to share their books

First, of course, they chose a book they had read that they loved. Each child had a large piece of paper-11 x 17. To make the books, the paper was folded in a hamburger fold and the seam was placed on the left side, just like a book. Using lots of color. they drew pictures, depicting one of their favorite scenes from their book. This became the cover page for their books.

Once the covers were done, they opened their book and, on the right side, they each wrote why they loved their books and why someone else should read the book they chose.

When they finished, I put the reports on the bulletin board where other students could read their classmate's review. I have to say that I had some of the best art work and writing that they had done all year. (This was third quarter.)

Here are pictures of some of the art work:

Alice in Wonderland
The Berenstain Bears and the Truth

To keep from overwhelming the students, we changed the reports on the board so that only four or five at a time were on display. The kids openly admired the work of their fellow students.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are welcome!