Sunday, May 31, 2015

School's Out-Last Day Events!

The last day of school is always a challenge! All of the academics are done. The room is pretty much cleaned up and ready for everyone to leave. Now it is time for the fun to begin.

Monday night, I lay down to sleep and realized that sleep was not going come. All I could think of was, I don't have Friday ready to go. At eleven o'clock, I crawled back out of bed and began putting everything in place.

First, I wrote down everything I already had planned. Then I began searching my End of Year Pinterest board, found here, that I had been pinning for the past few weeks. This is what we came up with:

Kickball for 45 minutes.
Charades for 30 minutes.
Beach ball volleyball for 30 minutes.
Win It In a Minute for 30 minutes.
Time for pizza and snacks.
Time to leave.

The Win It in a Minutes that I chose were:

Stacking cereal on a craft stick.
Blowing a cottonball back and forth through a maze on a table.
Making a face on a plate using M & M's.
Herding tissue fish.

Explanations of the games are found on these two sites:

The Starr Spangled Banner
Hative
Sunny Days in Second Grade

These sites have other great ideas-some I have used before but they may be new to you. I like to mix it up because it keeps the kids excited.

We changed often so everyone was willing to play everything, even if it wasn't a favorite activity.

Chosing teams was easy. I gave everyone a glow-in-the-dark bracelet. Similar colors got together as a team. It was a quick and easy way to group. Of course, I passed the bracelets out to create even teams. The bracelets came from Fry's Grocery store. They were having a 2 for one sale with ten bracelets in each one. Three boxes provided me with everything I needed.

The kids had a great time and so did the staff. This is something you can do as a classroom if you are a big school, or as a school if your population is small.

Now it is on to two things-the closing paperwork and plans for next year. Hope your summer is fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are welcome!